Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Angel - My "How It's Made" blog

Have you ever wondered how a scroll saw creation goes from this
To this?

I was thinking about that the other night as I lay in bed not sleeping.... again. I’m sure we’ve all seen one of those “How It’s Made” shows, I know I have. And I thought to myself that would make a good blog post! So here it is, without the cheesy techno music they always seem to have. 


Preparing the Wood - My first step in any scroll saw project is to print out a pattern and then attach it to the wood you plan to cut. I prefer to use a spray adhesive, though I do know some people like to use transfer paper. Choice of wood is also very personal. In my case I prefer to cut ¼ inch Baltic Birch, though depending on the project I will use a different width or type of wood.

As this project has two wings, it is easier to stack cut them and get twin pieces rather than to cut them individually. This also means that it takes half the time. 


Drilling the Wood - Next step is to head over to the drill press. I need to drill a hole for my blade to enter in each of the inside cuts of the pattern. 

Cutting the Pattern - Once all the inside cut holes are drilled I’m ready to head off to my scroll saw. I use an Excalibur 21inch scroll saw and it has the ability for the entire arm to move up and down to allow me to insert the blade into the pre-drilled holes without bending my blade.  I make all my inside cuts prior to the outline because it is easier to hold onto a bigger piece of wood then a small piece. There are other reasons too but that gets a little technical for my small how it’s made blog :)

After all the inside cuts are done then it’s on to cutting the outline.

Removing the Pattern - Now that all the parts are cut out it’s time to take off the pattern. Because I’ve used spray adhesive to put on the pattern I brush on acetone to remove the glue and help me take off the paper.


Sanding the Finished Piece - I start out using a finish sander. It’s quite gentle so I don’t have to worry about my delicate cuts breaking off.

After using the sander I use an old blade from my scroll saw to touch up the inside cuts and get rid of any “wood hair” that’s been left over from cutting. 

Staining  - Once the pieces have been sanded I then stain my work. I do this by pouring stain into a container, in this case an aluminum disposable roasting pan. I ensure that the entire piece is well coated with stain and then I hang it up to dry on my drying rack. I usually leave all my pieces to dry for a day or two depending on the stain. 


Final Assembly – After the stain is dry it’s assembly time! In this case I have several pieces to assemble. Body, two wings, wing backing, a halo and two hinges. The first step in this case was to hot glue and screw (to ensure they stay together) the wing backing to the body.


Next was to screw on a hinge onto either side of the wing backing and then screw a wing onto each hinge. After the wings are attached I used small nails and a bit of wood glue to affix the halo to the head of the angel.

ET Voila! The finished Angel!

 
The pattern for this angel is a design by Patrick and Patricia Spielman. 
I have to give a BIG thanks to my Dad for his help in my final assembly (screwing & gluing) in his workshop as well as my Mom for taking pictures of the final assembly!

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done....makes me miss the woodwork I use to do.

    ReplyDelete