Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Chickadee Clock

Each day I look through my folders of scrollsaw patterns on my computer (and there are 100's and 100's of patterns hehe) and pick out 3 or 4 to take down to the workshop with me to work on. Some days I cut one item and sometimes I cut a few.

Last night when I was searching through my files a Chickadee clock caught my attention. Why a Chickadee clock you may ask? Well,  I have a great friend Kim who just is crazy over birds, in fact she writes her own fabulous blog (and is the person that got me into blogging!).

As is quite often the case, I made two of the Chickadee clocks by stack cutting. Stack cutting is much like it sounds. I glue the pattern on to a piece of 1/2 inch Baltic Birch (my favorite wood to cut). I then took a second piece of Birch and used Blue Painters tape to tape the two pieces together. By doing this I am able to cut two exact copies of the same item. I then made the bases out of 1 inch reclaimed Pine boards that had been laminated by my Dad.

Since I had two copies of the clock I decided to use two different stains so that they were not exactly the same.

The first clock I used Minwax Golden Pecan stain on 


While the second clock I used Fletco Cherry 2402 stain on
 
The above Chickadee Clock Pattern is one of many great patterns made by Travis at Scrollsaw Village!

If you are interested in checking out my inspiration for cutting this clock, Kim AKA LadyWoodpecker's blog is Lady Woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment